How To Do A Thorough Lice Comb-Out
There are no quick fixes or shortcuts to get rid of head lice. The only way to get rid of lice is to do a thorough comb-out. It is important that you break the life cycle of head lice by continuing to treat lice infestation until it is completely eradicated. Therefore, more than one comb-out is typically necessary. Coupled with determination, patience and persistence you will get rid of lice by following these steps carefully:
Items To Use During A Comb-Out:
- 1 roll of white paper towels torn into sheets and stacked - water dampened to clean comb on
- 1 spritzer bottle filled with water for paper towels and hair to loosen shampoo and ease combing as needed
- 1 LiceLogic Terminator Nit Comb – a sturdy metal nit comb is a must and is reusable after cleaning
- 1 bottle of LiceLogic Clear & Free Treatment Shampoo
- 1 bottle of LiceLogic Repel Conditioner to apply to hair directly over shampoo to ease combing as needed
- 1 bottle of LiceLogic Hair Nit Spray for stubborn nits
- 1 or 2 medium size bowls to clean comb in
- 1 garbage bag or can
- 1 floor covering - old newspaper, old sheet, or towel
- 1 regular comb
- 1 regular brush
- 4-8 large hair clips that will hold the hair in place securely
- 1 pair of magnification glasses or visor
- 1 shower cap
- 1 hair dryer
- 1 timer
- 2 bath towels
- Bright light and counter space near a sink
The Comb-Out Procedure:
- Gather all of your items in advance and place on a table or counter where you can lay everything out. Make sure you have enough space to work and are preferably near a sink.
- Sit the infested person under a bright light next to your workspace. Bright sunlight will work well too.
- Place a towel around their shoulders and make sure they are comfortable, as they will be seated in this position for a while.
- Put on your chosen magnification device and carefully inspect the hair by separating it into small sections to view the areas closest to the scalp.
- Take your regular comb or brush and detangle the hair thoroughly. Place this brush in a sealed plastic Ziploc bag or re-useable container to disinfect later.
- Apply LiceLogic Clear & Free Treatment Shampoo to damp hair. Massage into hair and scalp for 15 minutes.
- Take the previously used comb or brush out of the container and comb the shampoo through the hair to ensure total coverage. Make sure all the hair is covered and there are no air pockets.
- Cover with a shower cap and let shampoo sit for 15 more minutes. Shower cap can be left on longer, if needed.
- If hair is long, divide the hair into 4 quadrant-like sections and clip up. If hair is short, work through entire head of hair section by section.
- Start combing out directly on shampoo by taking down small sections of first quadrant, no wider than the nit comb. Starting at the scalp gently place your nit comb at a 45 degree angle against the scalp. Gently pull comb through this section in one continuous motion to the ends.
- Wipe comb on stack of damp paper towels and dip into the bowl of hot water to clean.
- Repeat each small section 4 times by combing hair in a South, North, East, and West direction. Then take down the next small section and repeat.
- Continue in small sections working through each quadrant until the entire head of hair is lice and nit free.
- Wash shampoo out of hair, add LiceLogic Repel Conditioner, rinse, detangle, and blow dry.
- Inspect hair under a bright light and pull off any remaining nits by sliding down hair shaft with fingertips and dispose of down a sink drain.
- Repeat every 1 to 3 days until infestation is gone.
- Use common sense, as every infestation is different. For a severe infestation, repeat for 3 days straight. And then 5 to 7 days later.
- Inspect the hair daily, as all it takes is one nit to be left in the hair to start the entire infestation all over again. That is why getting rid of head lice is an ongoing process, not a one time treatment.
- A thorough comb-out will take between 2 to 4 hours for long hair and 1 to 2 hours for short hair. Take your time.
- Remember to gently place the LiceLogic Terminator Nit Comb on a 45-degree angle flush against the scalp. Be careful not to gouge the scalp, as the comb is sharp.
- Lice will spread easily and quickly. We suggest having all family members who were exposed to another member with lice wash their hair with LiceLogic Clear & Free Treatment Shampoo as a precaution, even if there are no signs of lice infestation.
- Continue to monitor each family member's hair for 2 weeks until all is clear.
We Are Here To Help & Answer All Of Your Questions:
Dealing with a lice infestation can be very stressful for most people. We are here to support you and answer any questions you may have. Feel free to contact us. We are here to help!